Thursday 4 December 2008

Tunes I Never Tire Of #4: The Roches - Hammond Song

There's singing, and there's SINGING. These three sisters from New Jersey captured my heart almost the minute I heard them. Actually, they did seem a bit strange at first. They were performing their own peculiar take on Dylan's `Clothes Line Saga' on the Whistle Test back in the day, and they lodged themselves in my mind, biding their time. I eventually succumbed to their charms a couple of years later when I could finally afford their third album `Keep On Doing' and was blown away, not least by an acapella arangement of the `Hallelujah Chorus' (not something one attempts lightly,but they carried it off with such aplomb)

This though is from the debut. A great pleading tale to one sister not to go off with a plainly unworthy chap. Those long, exquisite harmonies sung with such force that they pin you to the wall. A force to be reckoned with. The icing on this richest of cakes is the liquid gold of producer Robert Fripp's guitar which threads it's way carefully through the vocal layers and is almost too much bliss for one song.

Hear here:
http://www.box.net/shared/o3gx2upm11

No comments: